Driving in the EU after 29 March 2019

Home / Bulletins / Driving in the EU after 29 March 2019

With the Brexit deadline approaching The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has issued guidelines for people taking vehicles outside of the UK in the event of a no deal Brexit. Drivers should contact their insurance adviser to arrange what is known as a Green Card and take it with them if they wish to drive their vehicle in the EU (and certain other countries) in the event no-deal is reached between the UK and EU with regard to UK participation in the Green Card Free Circulation Area.

Currently a Certificate of Motor Insurance is suitable for people driving abroad, in the event of No Deal then Green Cards would be required for UK motorists to circulate in the EEA , Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland (the Green Card-free circulation area) as proof of insurance. Those who travel without one may be breaking the law and could incur severe delays at borders if they travel without one.

Many insurers have now ordered supplies of Green Cards in the event of a No Deal, anyone travelling will need to contact insurers for one to be issued and take this with them on their journey if they enter the Green Card-free circulation areas (including people driving across the Northern Ireland/Republic of Ireland border) Additionally you should obtain a Green Card in advance if;

The ABI have also issued advice regarding Travel Insurance cover, a copy of their guidance note can be found Here

Please contact us if you have any questions or need any advice, we will need details regarding the trip and dates in order to provide a Green Card and recommend reasonable time is allowed for them to be issued.

Latest Bulletin
Contact Us
Dunsby Associates Insurance Brokers Limited
4th Floor
New Oxford House
16 Waterloo Street
B2 5UG
0121 631 3051 0121 665 6280